Gothic Art evolved from Romanesque architecture and was succeeded by Renaissance architecture.
Originating in 12th century France and lasting into the 15th century.
FOUR WORKS OF ART - APAH 250
Sacred Architecture & Painting:
1. Chartres France 1194 Robert de Laxarches (60)
West, North & South portals of Chartres/Notre Dame de la Belle Verriere window
2. Arena (Scrovegni) Chapel (63)
Other Architecture: Notre Dame Paris, St Croce Florence,
3. Rottgen Pieta (62) 1325
Other sculpture – Visitation jamb statues – Reim Cathedral 1230 Virgin of Paris , The Virgin of Jeanne d’Evreaux reliquary 1340
4.. Dedication Page with Balnche of Castile & king Louis IX from Bibles (61) c1250 5.Golden Haggadah (Scenes of Liberation) (64)
GOTHIC ARCHITECTURE DEVELOPMENTS
- Opening of the space
- Provides greater verticality (more thrust downward, less thrust outward)
DECORATIVE & ORNATE
-Architecture not just function, it had merit and meaning, new beauty and aesthetic values.
- Supports roof vaulting
- Allowing for more window space & light
RIBBED – GROIN CEILING
- Supports roof structure
- More flexibility of the shape of the bay, size and geometry of the plan